North Eastern Railway '901' Class 2-4-0 No. 910
The '901' Class 2-4-0 locomotives were designed by Edward Fletcher for express passenger work. Fifty five engines were introduced into service by the North Eastern Railway between 1872 and 1882 to haul express trains between York and Edinburgh and on other main lines. No. '910' was built at Gateshead in April 1875 and was one of the locomotives involved in the first 'Railway Race to the North' in 1888
During the 1880's the engines began to be extensively rebuilt and displaced from the York-Edinburgh workings to more secondary work including passenger trains over Stainmore which they hauled over a period of more than thirty years. Two of the last engines in service - numbers 19 and 1325 - were withdrawn from Kirkby Stephen Shed in February 1925. However '910' had been set aside to be restored to original condition to take part in the 'Centenary' celebrations in 1925 and afterwards formed a part of the first collection of preserved locomotives at the old LNER York Railway Museum.
We are delighted that No.910 is now to be based at Kirkby Stephen East on a five year period of loan from the National Railway Museum collection to the Stainmore Railway Company.
Photo of '910' at Shildon with acknowledgements to R. Langham.